Health Benefits Of Art Therapy You Know Nothing About
Art is an expression of thought, ideas, and feelings. Art allows one to express their experiences creatively. Interestingly, many people ignore sculpturing, pottery, painting, drawing, and coloring as a waste of time. Others think it is a wasteful hobby.
Did you know you can use American artwork to improve the quality of your life? Art increases a person’s self-esteem and self-awareness and enhances self-worth and acceptance? You can improve your health in the following ways if you find it pleasurable to indulge in any form of art:
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve the ability to withstand pain, and loss, especially in children
- Stimulate mental ability in people suffering from dementia
- Improve self-expression and foster healing and mental well-being
Art therapy is a non-intrusive method of treating and managing psychological disorders. It is anchored on the assertion that any form of artistic expression can foster mental and physical healing and wellness.
Types of creative art used in therapy sessions
Art is a vast discipline. Apart from drawing, coloring, and sculpturing and it also includes
Clients can use different forms of art to help explore their inner feelings. Consequently, one improves self-perception and self-esteem, reduces stress, and boosts social interaction skills. Some of the techniques used in art therapy are:
- Scribbling and doodling
Art is an effective tool when treating a patient for conditions such as:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Eating disorders
- Age-related issues
- Substance-abuse related disorders
- Relationship problems
Myths and misconceptions about art therapy
Many people associate artwork with hobbies and patients recovering from different medical conditions. Here are some of the most common misconceptions about art therapy to correct:
- You must be artistic-you do not have to be talented in any form of art to participate in art. Art therapy is for anyone who needs to heal their body and soul. Therefore, teenagers, children, adults, people with disabilities, and patients can all benefit from the therapy.
- Art therapy is a formal art class- an art lesson that focuses on teaching different units in the subject. By the end of an art class, the learner may be required to complete a project or product. However, art therapy aims to help you express your inner feelings, thoughts, ideas, and experiences. It is an informal way of speaking about your perceptions, imaginations, and interpretations of reality.
- Art therapy must involve a professional- art therapy can take place anywhere. It can also be self-directed or initiated by a therapist. Art therapy sessions can take place in an art studio, correctional facility, school, or private therapy office. You can also sit on a couch in the garden.
- Art therapy is for a specific class of people- many who think they’re not artistic may dismiss art therapy; however, anyone who desires to feel better about themselves and their environment.
Art is an expressive means of communication. It is an ideal method of self-expression to boost one’s esteem, worth and perception. Consider embracing one of the many artistic techniques today!